Known as the “land of good sunshine and good wine,” the region of Mendoza is nestled in the foothills of the Andes Mountain Range. It’s the center of Argentina’s wine industry, but there’s more to the region than just wine. Touring the region by foot or horseback, fine dining, fly fishing, and olive oil tastings are just some of the things you can experience in Mendoza. Because of its extensive artificial irrigation systems, the city is green with trees lining the wide avenues even though it is situated in a dry desert region of Argentina. We think a stop in Mendoza should be on every journey to Argentina. While you’re there, here are our top 6 things to do in Mendoza to really get the most out of your trip.
1. Visit Via Civet Cafe for a caffeine recharge. There’s a large selection of coffee drinks and sweet treats at the famous Via Civet cafe, but we suggest you go for the cortado and alfajores.
2. Explore the 1,200 acres of San Martin Park and the many plazas of the city. It is a great way to take in the local flavor of Mendoza as its plazas are the cornerstone of the city. Locals gather there to listen to bands, buy food from street vendors, and let their children play.
3. Enjoy a multi-course lunch and wine pairing at Monteviejo Winery in the Uco Valley. You’ll head there for the wine and cuisine, but the views of the vineyards with the Andes in the background is a real selling point as well.
4. Order the salt-crusted salmon at Siete Fuegos Restaurant at the Vines Resort & Spa. The restaurant from internationally acclaimed chef Francis Mallmann uses open-flame cooking techniques inspired by the Argentine gauchos and local seasonal ingredients paired with the best Argentine wines.
5. Go wine tasting at some of the lesser-known and more exclusive wineries of the Uco Valley, like DiamAndes, part of the prestigious Clos de los Siete group; or Salentein, which is more popular among tourists than DiamAndes, but still less frequented than many of the other wineries in the area. The Vines of Mendoza is a great place to go wine tasting since it is made up of many different vineyards and wine producers surrounding the Vines Resort & Spa.
6. Indulge in the Hamam wine experience at the Entre Cielos spa. The grape-based treatments harness the reviving qualities of the vine with grape seed body exfoliations; a wine bath of grape extracts, vitamins, and minerals; and a body treatment and grape extract facial mask. Of course, it’s all followed by a massage for a truly relaxing spa experience.
Add these top things to do in Mendoza to your next luxury journey to Argentina with Ker & Downey. To start planning your getaway, contact your Luxury Travel Consultant.