Wondering where US travelers can visit in Africa in 2021? Here are Ker & Downey’s top recommendations.
Admit it. You forgot for a second that Egypt is in Africa. But that’s okay because Egypt is welcoming US travelers with open arms, regardless of momentary lapses in geographical knowledge. On arrival, travelers from the US must show a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 96 hours of departure. Proof of health insurance is also required.
- Tour the Giza Pyramids and the mysterious Sphinx with a private Egyptologist guide
- Follow in Agatha Christie’s literary footsteps with a stay at the historic Sofitel Legend Old Cataract Aswan Hotel
Read these Ker & Downey blogs to learn more about Egypt:
After reopening to international tourism on August 1st with a pesky-but-now-waived quarantine for some Americans, Kenya has opened its borders to all US travelers, provided they have a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 96 hours of departure.
- Socially distance yourself in one of Kenya’s private luxury villas or bush homes
- Enjoy some of the finest game viewing in the world in the Great Rift Valley
Read these Ker & Downey blogs to learn more about Kenya:
This popular desert oasis reopened to US travelers in September. The caveat? Travelers must have a confirmed hotel reservation and fly on specific routings with the country’s flag carrier, Royal Air Maroc. Thankfully, Ker & Downey has your back when it comes to planning travel to Morocco. All you need to provide is a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours of departure.
- Spend a night in a secluded desert tent, with no one to distract you from the sparkling night sky
- Explore the Atlas Mountains by 4WD vehicle and see how argan oil is processed by a women’s co-op
Read these Ker & Downey blogs to learn more about Morocco:
Namibia was one of the first countries in southern Africa to test a “travel bubble” with select countries. All travelers must enter through Hosea Kutako International Airport in Windhoek with a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 7 days of departure. Ker & Downey can book your direct flights from Frankfurt to avoid transit through South Africa.
- Fly high along the famed Skeleton Coast by private charter plane to secluded camps
- Stay far away from the crowds in your own private home on the edge of the Namib Desert
Read these Ker & Downey blogs to learn more about Namibia:
Rwanda was quick to implement strict COVID-19 health and safety protocols nationwide to protect its citizens, and it reopened to tourism in August. US travelers must have a negative COVID-19 PCR test performed no more than 120 hours before initial departure. A second PCR will be administered on arrival. Travelers will receive these results within 24 hours while isolating at one of several designated hotels in Kigali.
- Hike with rangers through Volcanoes National Park, seeking out one of several habituated mountain gorilla families
- Experience a secluded Big 5 safari in Akagera National Park
Read these Ker & Downey blogs to learn more about Rwanda:
- A Rwanda Safari Experience – Into the Rwanda Wild
- The Benefits of Traveling to Just One Country Right Now
In some of the most exciting news in 2020 for safari-goers, South Africa officially reopened its borders to international travelers in November. US travelers must carry a negative COVID-19 PCR test result from within 72 hours of the time of departure. Travelers without an official negative test result or who show symptoms on arrival will be required to enter a mandatory quarantine facility at their own cost.
- Take a photographic safari in one of South Africa’s many well-preserved national parks or private reserves
- Taste some of the world’s best cuisine, wines, chocolates, and more on a culinary adventure through this fascinating nation
Read these Ker & Downey blogs to learn more about South Africa:
Tanzania welcomes all travelers. The government does not have COVID-19 test requirements in place for any foreign visitors. But, if your airline requires a test as a condition for traveling, you may be asked to show the results again on arrival.
- Enjoy the exclusivity of a private villa on the white sandy beaches of Zanzibar
- Hone your nature photography skills with a safari in one of the most scenic places on Earth, the Serengeti
Read these Ker & Downey blogs to learn more about Tanzania:
Uganda has recently begun allowing international travelers to fly into Entebbe. There are currently no restrictions on travelers based on country of origin. All travelers must have a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 120 hours of initial departure. Additional health screenings may be conducted on arrival. Another PCR test must be conducted 72 hours prior to leaving Uganda.
- Explore Bwindi Impenetrable Forest in search of endangered primate species such as mountain gorillas and golden monkeys
- In season, go fishing on the Nile for the infamously gigantic Nile perch
Read these Ker & Downey blogs to learn more about Uganda:
Zambia, home of the walking safari, reopened their international airports in July. Travelers must have a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 72 hours of arrival.
- Find seclusion on a walking safari in Zambia’s South Luangwa National Park
- Relax in the lap of luxury on the Zambezi River at Royal Chundu, just a short drive from Victoria Falls
Read these Ker & Downey blogs to learn more about Zambia:
This landlocked country in southern Africa reopened to international tourism on October 1st after months of being locked down entirely. Any arriving traveler must have a negative COVID-19 PCR test taken within 48 hours from departure.
- Explore 100,000 acres of private reserve with your family from the comfort of a private 5-bedroom villa at Singita Pamushana Lodge
- Revel in the plentiful birdlife found in Mana Pools National Park like the purple-banded sunbird and racket-tailed roller
Read these Ker & Downey blogs to learn more about Zimbabwe:
Learn more about where US travelers can visit in Africa in 2021
At Ker & Downey, each itinerary is handcrafted to reflect you. To start planning your journey or for ideas of other places US travelers can visit internationally this year, contact a Ker & Downey destination specialist.
Disclaimer: Travel restrictions, re-openings, and safety protocols change rapidly in response to COVID-19. Please verify information listed or contact a Ker & Downey destination specialist.