East Africa encompasses two of Africa’s most famous safari destinations: Kenya and Tanzania. As a perfect complement to this storied region, travelers can also experience the gorillas of Uganda and Rwanda. Safaris end in relaxation on the historic islands of the Indian Ocean, luxuriating on their beautiful beaches. An extension to Ethiopia must not be overlooked to experience its festivals, wildlife, and historical monuments.
- High – June to October and December to January – $1,000 to $2,000 per person per day
- Low – February to May and November – $800 to $1,300 per person per day
- Seasonality in East Africa revolves around the dry and the rainy seasons and one must not forget that in the hills and mountains it can get cold. Summer season is generally December to March.
- December to March is an excellent time to visit Ethiopia, to trek for Gorillas in Rwanda and Uganda, Zanzibar, and of course the Serengeti and Masai Mara National Parks.
- Even though April through to June is considered the long rainy season, we would still recommend the Northern safari circuit of Tanzania and Kenya’s southern regions. The Serengeti and the Masai Mara are still great places to visit during “green season”.
- July to November is peak season due to superb weather, the Wildebeest migration, the coast, and ideal accessibility to Tanzania’s Southern circuit. This is also the best time to combine your safari with idyllic beach destinations like Zanzibar or venture further afield to Seychelles.
The Ker & Downey Difference
- Stay in a private camp in the middle of the Wildebeest migration.
- Visit the tribes of Ethiopia in the Omo Valley.
- Take a hot air balloon ride in the Grumeti Reserve of Tanzania.
- Climb Kilimanjaro with the best guides and private tented accommodations.
- Extend your safari and visit Mahale, home of the chimpanzees in Tanzania.
East Africa offers the perfect combinations of exciting itineraries, each hand-crafted by the Ker & Downey team to make sure that your experience the most of what East Africa has to offer. From the cool highlands dominated by an exciting safari to the classic experience of the Great Migration and a lazy getaway on a sandy shore, contact us to start planning your own custom East Africa adventure.