Whether you are a first-time safari-goer or a seasoned veteran, a helicopter flight should definitely be an excursion on your journey. Recently, Reid took a flight over the Okavango Delta, and today he’s sharing his helicopter photography tips to get the best images from above.
Reid’s Cultivated Guidance and Considerations with Regard to the Art of Digital Light Capture whilst Navigating the Near Terrestrial Heavens via Aerial Autogiro
1. Employ a pilot with all the necessary certifications, licensing, appendages, and vision requirements to operate rotorcraft.
2. Consider the doors – are they necessary? Ask them to be removed for maximum light capture potential.
3. Communication between pilot and shutterbugs is fundamental to any successful skyward session. Share, prior to the flight, your checklist of images that are most important. Do not be afraid to be whimsical and forthright.
4. As on land, so is the sky. Acknowledge the sun and the proprietary role it plays in the art of image capture. Consult your chronometer and determine the most advantageous time to acquire the shots you aspire for (i..e. sunset).
5. Wear your seat belt.
6. Remember to seek in your experience, not just images to share and inspire, but also the meaning of the Infinite Truth; to understand that there is more than capturing light, but also absorbing it, and also to listen – so secure the camera in your lap, and enjoy the drubbing of the rotors and the land passing below with the perception of your own biological light sensors – and not through the aperture of glass.
7. Do have faith that taking on a task is a beautiful thing, but to multitask is divine. So bring your GoPro or action camcorder, identify a place to secure it in the cockpit, and let it run during your aerial tryst.
8. Banish the thought of expense or currency obligations – these moments above the uncelestial earth shall remain in your corporeal self throughout your life with no effort.
9. Sit in the front. You can see better up there.
For more helicopter photography tips or to add a helicopter excursion to your next Ker & Downey journey, contact your Luxury Travel Consultant. Stay up to date on all our online content by following us on Facebook and Twitter.